Stories I Wrote For School: Story 1-Parading Around

 Alright, here we go. As you can see in the title, this is the first of five stories I wrote for school. Now, my teachers assigned me and my classmates some homework to do after school hours, and because of quarantine, because of the COVID-19 virus, which I have mentioned in a previous blog (Headaches and Outbreaks on a Lunar New Year) they had to send the homework through google slides. And, for writing practice after the Writing FSA, a big writing test taken at the end of the school year, my reading teacher assigned me and my class an activity where we would look at a picture, and write a story based off of it. Now for this first story, we had to write a story based on this image below:

Problem is, I could think of anything to write based of off this, so I asked my father and he was able to come up with the idea that they were a bunch of parents and young children cheering their older siblings on in some kind of parade. So I took the idea, and wrote the story below. I'll be patching up and rewording a few things, and I might add a continuation to it later since it doesn't really have an ending.

Parading Around


So far, today had seemed like just an ordinary old day. I wasn't a bad day, but nothing really interesting or out of the ordinary happened. However, while I was brushing my teeth to prepare for bedtime, I overheard a conversation between my mom and my sister. “Hey Mom, can you help me with something? It’s for school.” “What is it, honey?” “Well.. my teacher announced that next Friday, we would be having a mask parade, where we would walk around campus, showing the other grades and classes the masks we designed. I have an idea for a mask, but I don’t have the materials to make it, and i’ll need some of your help with actually putting it together, so can you take me to the store tomorrow to get me some of the materials, like sequins and glue, and then help me make and assemble the mask across the rest of the week?” “Of course sweetheart!” “Thanks mom.”


When I heard that my sister was having a mask parade next Friday, I was exhilarated! I had already seen the intricate and beautiful masks they display on the television, but being able to see one myself, and not only one, but hundreds of others, would be an amazing experience!


Throughout the week, I got to see the mask come together. First a bland and dreary white, without an eye catching feature in sight, I got to see as it was painted a bright and colorful pink. Then it was adorned with vibrant purple and blue feathers and golden sequins were meticulously placed around the nose of the mask. As more and more touches were made, the mask looked prettier and prettier.

By the end, it looked colorful, and dreamy, though all the colors made it a tad bit obnoxious. I couldn't care less about the slightly obnoxious color scheme though, as tomorrow, the parade would be taking place, where we would watch as my sister and her class would strut through the school, and I’d not only get to see her mask, but the mask of all of her classmates! I went to bed jittering with excitement, thinking of all the wonderful masks I would get to see.

When I woke up and went to school, I was absolutely thrilled that the parade was about to start. My sister though, didn’t seem to be. “What’s wrong?” I asked her. In response, she said “I’m nervous that mine is going to look inadequate, or like a jumbled mess of colors compared to everyone else's….” “Come on, don’t be silly! While the mask may be a tad cluttered, it’s still absolutely stunning and your mask is going to look amazing in the parade! Just be confident, it looks great!” I responded. “Yeah… I guess.” she said. Soon I was at school, sitting outside with my mom and waiting for the parade to start.
Finally, the doors to the hallway opened, and a whole pod of amazing masks came strutting out. I was wowed. The masks were of all different shapes and sizes, all different colors and patterns, and they all looked amazing! However, the most beautiful of them all, was my sister’s. But although me and my mom were thrilled with her mask, she was still insecure about it, bowing her head down and giving a reluctant look. Seeing what all of the other families were doing, me and my mom knew exactly what to do to lift her confidence. Readying our voices, we cheered “Go Paulie! Go Paulie! Go Paulie!” After hearing our cheers, my sisters mood seemed to be lifted, and finally, we could see the beginnings of a smile forming on her face.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Headaches and Outbreaks on a Lunar New Year

Birthday Bash

Our Nightmare Trip to New York